Computing and Technology
- MTA Comparison - How do the main Mail Tranfer Agents compare?
- VistaForLawyers - The Vista licence is incompatible with some companies. A legal view of technical facts.
- Linux Virtualisation - Overview of different kinds of Virtualisation available for Linux
- Hypothetic Computing - A classification scheme for virtual machines
- Open Source and IP Management - Non-technical, for business executives
- Open Sesame - Non-technical, examines Open Standards, Open Source and Open Content
- Open Content Licensing Mess - About Open Content, and selecting licences for this website
- Micro Books - Business model for tiny dead tree books
Snippets, Howtos, Comments and So on
- Cloba - Claudio's Bash Logger. How to log all commands typed on a network
- WANDataReplication - Brief notes on the WAN file replication problem
- BytemarkDedicatedHost - Comments on making a dedicated host work, with some reference to a specific provider
- MinimalEtchXen - Recipe for getting Xen 3 to work with a Debian Etch Dom0 with minimum risk
- MinimalEtchSerialConsole - Basic Debian Etch with serial console support
- Content Management Systems - Finding one that works without holding my data hostage
- Mediawiki observations, complaints, suggestions...
- Solaris9 Samba and Active Directory - making Samba 3.0.22 work with Active Directory on a nasty operating system
- Linux Server Partitioning - Thoughts on laying out that new 2Tb hard disk
- Linux Firewall Template - A starting point for a server (iptables) firewall, with explanations
- Linux Shaping Template - A starting point for Linux (tc) network traffic shaping, with explanations
- Debugging Dpkg Problems - When apt-get and dpkg are unhappy
- POP vs IMAP for Inboxes - There is no technical advantage to a POP inbox. QED
- ssh tunnelling - The ssh man page is very confusing when it comes to tunnelling
- Definition of Computer in UK law - How UK national law defines the term "computer"
- Microsoft Demo VMs - Using Microsoft's demonstration VM images under Linux
- UDP Reachability Testing - Verifying a UDP service such as IAX from outside a firewall
- Package List Cloning - Having the same package list on two Linux machines (without cloning them)
- Copy Running Xen - How to copy (not migrate) a running Xen instance to another server
- SuSE 9 Paravirtualised Xen - How to move a production (ancient) SuSE 9.0 to paravirtualised Xen
- Ext4 recovery - During 2009 and in early 2010 the ext4 filesystem suffers spontaneous corruptions
- Slow Writes 4k Sectors - In 2010 an annoying problem with default Linux/Windows disk partitioning causes slow write performance
- Open Source in the EU
There's other bits around the web.
- The Daevel template daemon and client, written in C.
- logtest.tar.gz is a minimal logging and panic system, with demo. C.
- HCI Theory - What they got when they asked me to do an informal presentation to a small group
Business-speak for Other People
Description of some business terms for people who aren't used to the vocabulary.
- IT Contracts - Notes on basic paperwork between IT supplying and consuming organisations
- Account Management - What does this strange term mean?
- Lanman RPL - Remoteboot for those caught in a time-warp using hardware and closed-source software from 15 years or so ago